Every dog enjoys gnawing at a good dental care regimen.
Most of the bones you find in pet stores are good choices for your dog, as long as they are not too small or too brittle. Chicken bones, for example, splinter and can easily get lodged in your dog's throat or digestive system. The safest dog bones typically come from the femur or leg of cows. They are very dense so they don't splinter.
Dog bones are available from $2 to $40 online, so it shouldn't be hard to find one that your dog will enjoy.
Here's a rundown of popular bones:
- Cow hooves - a long-lasting chew
- Rawhide - tightly rolled and great for your dog's teeth
- Pig ears - This 100% pork chew is a popular dog treat
- Puppy chews - small bones for your teething pup
- Smoked bones - hickory smoked and slow roasted
- Liver/chicken/pork filled - stuffed with added protein
- Natural bones - made from 100% natural protein - no preservatives added
- Dental/Fresh breath bones - contain herbs that will stop bad breath